The Southwest Zone Olympic Development Program (ODP) will begin in a couple weeks at the Southwest Zone ODP Training Camp #1 on November 29-30 at the UT Swim Center in Austin, TX. There will be THREE Southwest Zone ODP Training Camps during the 2014-2015 ODP Season. The Training Camp #2 will be Saturday, January 3rd in North Texas at the Southlake-Carroll ISD Aquatic Center, and the Training Camp #3 will be on Sunday, January 4th in the Houston area (location TBD). All of the Training Camps will have National Team ODP Coaches/Southwest Zone ODP Coaches working with the athletes and evaluating the athletes. Each Training Camp will work on distinct aspects of game (different from camp to camp) and build on the previous camp so it is good to attend as many camps as possible (participants will need sign-up/pay for each camp separately). The Southwest Zone ODP Training Camps are open to ALL USAWP Gold athletes Born in 97, 99, 01 & Younger. Below are the USA Water Polo ODP Overview, age groups, online registration links, Southwest Zone Coaches, etc. for the Southwest Zone Training Camps. In order to be identified for a Southwest Zone ODP team roster, an athlete must attend at least ONE Training Camp. Southwest Zone Teams will be announced AFTER the final Training Camp via email. Athletes selected to a Southwest Zone ODP team will have additional training in January-February and attend the USA Water Polo ODP National Championships in March 2015.
Southwest Zone ODP Age Groups/Coaches: In addition to the Southwest Zone Coaches listed below, there will be National ODP Coaches attending each Training Camp. For the Austin Camp on November 29-30, Adam Ross (Head Girls Development Coach/Rose Bowl Aquatics) and Matt Johnson (Goalie Coach) will be attending. For both the North Texas and Houston Training Camps on January 3-4, Dan Klatt (Head Girls Junior Coach/UC Irvine HC), Zach Koechner (Cadet Team Coach/Assistant Coach UOP), and Matt Johnson (Goalie Coach) will be attending in both locations.
• Girls Development: Born in 2001 & Younger, Coach Allie Hill (Zone Head Coach – Southwest Zone Girls ODP)
• Girls Cadet: Born in 1999 & Younger, Coach Chris Cullen
• Girls Youth: Born in 1997 & Younger, Coach Hannah Dore
• Boys Development: Born in 2001 & Younger, Coach Joe Linehan (Zone Head Coach – Southwest Zone Boys ODP)
• Boys Cadet: Born in 1999 & Younger, Coach James Smith
• Boys Youth: Born in 1997 & Younger, Coach Andres Rodriguez
Southwest Zone Training Camp Dates, Locations, and Online Sign-up Links: The Southwest Zone ODP Training Camps are open to ALL USAWP Gold athletes Born in 97, 99, 01 & Younger. In order to register online for a specific Training Camp, athletes must login at www.usawaterpolo.org and sign up/make payments at the following links (sign-up/pay for each camp separately). Online Registration for the Training Camps will be closed on Wednesday evening prior to each Training Camp. There is also a cap of 100 campers (boys/girls combined) at all three Training Camps. Athletes that were part of a National Team roster in 2014 must still attend ONE camp to continue in the pipeline if they are in High School/Middle School. Athletes born in 1996 are welcome to attend the Training Camps, but are ineligible for the Zone Team rosters. Those 1996 & Younger athletes that have previously been identified will receive Junior Team invites.
• Training Camp #1: Saturday-Sunday, November 29-30 at the UT Swim Center in Austin, TX. Online Sign-up: https://webpoint.usawaterpolo.com/wp15/Events2/ViewEvt.wp?EventID=11061
• Training Camp #2: Saturday, January 3rd at the Southlake-Carroll ISD Aquatic Center (North Texas). Online Sign-up: https://webpoint.usawaterpolo.com/wp15/Events2/ViewEvt.wp?EventID=11201
• Training Camp #3: Sunday, January 4th in the Houston area (location TBD). Online Sign-up: https://webpoint.usawaterpolo.com/wp15/Events2/ViewEvt.wp?EventID=11208
USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program Overview:
• USA Water Polo ODP Website: http://www.usawaterpolo.org/odp/
• Purpose: The Olympic Development Program will serve as a forum to identify and develop athletes to represent USA Water Polo throughout domestic and international competition. The foundation of the program is a systematic approach to athlete development through a training program that focuses on both the technical and tactical components of water polo while placing a premium on overall physical fitness. This program will also provide a forum where coaches and referees are provided with professional development and to the vision of our Men and Women’s Senior National Team coaches.
• Objective: The Olympic Development Program exists to identify and prepare athletes to represent USAWP in international competition; while exposing, educating, engaging and developing all USAWP athletes, coaches and referees to the vision of our Men’s and Women’s Senior National Team Coaches
• Goal: The goal is to identify and develop athletes at the USAWP club level and then integrating them into national team pipeline via the Olympic Development Program.