This is a final update regarding the upcoming Texas Dare to Dream Festival this weekend, January 19-20 at the Spring Branch ISD Natatorium in Houston. Attached is the tournament schedule and the Dare to Dream 12U Official Rules. The referees WILL be doing ID Checks prior to each game (please be prepared). When you arrive on Saturday for your first game, each coach will receive their Team Packets that will include Deck Passes, Game Sheets, and copies of the Dare to Dream 12U Official Rules. Teams will use the Game Sheets for their ID Checks prior to each game and then turn in a Game Sheet to the table prior to each game. Rosters will be closely monitored during with ID Checks throughout the weekend. Only those listed on the roster (athletes/coaches) will be allowed to be on the team benches.
Viper Pigeons is co-hosting the event with USA Water Polo, and they will be providing apparel sales, the table workers/supervisors, admissions, and hospitality for coaches/referees. All games will have 6:00 quarters using USA Water Polo rules with two minutes between periods. Ties within brackets/Round Robin play will also use USA Water Polo rules to determine placing/seeding. Each team will receive two timeouts per game. All games will be played until there is a winner. Games tied after four quarters will go straight to a shootout. Below are more details on the event as well as the emails sent previously. Please be aware of the tiebreaker, advancement, shootout, and protest procedures.
All Athletes Welcome – 10U Exhibition Game on Saturday, January 19th: At the tournament (and on the schedule), there will be a “All Athletes Welcome – 10U Exhibition Game” on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm. All athletes who are age 10 & younger as of August 1, 2018 will be encouraged to participate in this game. Age 10 & younger athletes will be mixed together into even strength teams and play a fun filled game. This is a great opportunity for these athletes to play an extra game this weekend, gain more experience, learn, and have fun. Viper Pigeons Coaches will be coaching the game. Please have your athletes arrive at 3:45 pm to check in!!!
Online Schedule/Results: For the online schedule/results for the Texas Dare to Dream Festival, please click here.
Location: Spring Branch ISD Natatorium, 10404 Tiger Trail, Houston, TX 77043. There will be an all-deep 25-yard playing course with a separate warm-up area.
Admissions: Admissions will be a $5 per day. For children 10U/Seniors 65+ the admission charge will be $3 per day. For children 5 & under, there will be no admission charge.
Tournament T-Shirt/USA Water Polo Apparel: There will be Tournament T-Shirts and USA Water Polo Apparel sold on deck at the tournament.
Hospitality: There will be a hospitality room set-up for the tournament for coaches and officials ONLY.
Game Caps/Warm Up/Team Benches: Teams will need to supply their own game caps and warm-up balls for the tournament. Teams listed first on the schedule will wear white caps and start to the left of the table (switch sides at half time). There will be a warm-up area at the pool (please share with other teems). The warm-up area will not be available from 12:00-1:00 pm on both days due to the Splashball Clinics. Please make sure coaches supervise their athletes during their warm-up. Teams can also warm-up between quarters/after games in the main competition pools. Please plan accordingly.
ID Checks/Photo ID’s: The Referees will be doing ID Checks for coaches and athletes prior to each game of the tournament. Teams will receive Game Sheets in their coaching packet. Teams will use the Game Sheets for their ID Checks prior to each game and then turn in a Game Sheet to the table prior to each game. Only those listed on the roster (athletes/coaches) will be allowed to be on the team benches. We recommend that all athletes download a picture with their USA Water Polo account (process takes two minutes). Teams will need to line up prior to their game in number order. All teams can print out team membership cards (click print membership cards at the bottom of each team’s final roster). Athletes can also have individual membership cards (this takes longer than printing out team membership cards).
Format: All games will have 6:00 quarters using USA Water Polo rules with two minutes between periods. Ties within brackets/Round Robin play will also use USA Water Polo rules to determine placing/seeding. Each team will receive two timeouts per game. All games will be played until there is a winner. Games tied after four quarters will go straight to a shootout.
Time Outs: In any game, each team shall be entitled to two timeouts of one-minute duration.
Advancement: In Bracket/Round Robin play, teams advance to the next round or placing is determined according to game points earned from game results within the bracket:
- 4 win in regulation or by forfeit
- 3 win by shoot out
- 2 loss by shoot out
- 1 loss in regulation
- 0 forfeit
Shoot-out Procedure: All games require a winner and loser; NO TIED GAMES! Should the game score be tied at the end of regulation time, the tie shall be broken by shoot out. Shoot Out Result – regardless of goal difference or total goals scored during shootout, the game score shall be recorded as +1 goal for the winner (eg. game tied 5-5, final game score 6-5 by shoot out) for calculating advancement.
- There will be an immediate coin toss to determine the shooting order.
- All shots will be taken at goal to the right of the scorer’s table, unless otherwise determined by the referees.
- Each team places its 5 players on scorekeeper’s desk side of pool.
- No declaration of shooting order required.
- Shots are taken alternately.
- The desk must record the shooting order on the score sheet for use if it goes to second round.
- After the first round it is sudden death.
- The bench at end opposite shooting end can move to half tank.
Tie-Breakers: In the case of teams tied in game points, teams advance according to the FINA tie breaker rules, stated in the FINA By Laws:
- Two Way Ties - BL 18.104.22.168 If two (2) teams shall have equal points, further classification shall be established as follows:
BL 22.214.171.124.1 The team winning the game between them shall be placed higher
- Three Way Ties - BL 126.96.36.199 If three (3) or more teams shall have equal points, further classification shall be established as follows:
- BL 188.8.131.52.1 The results among the tied teams shall determine which team is placed highest.
- BL 184.108.40.206.2 If, at any time during the application of the procedure set out in this BL 220.127.116.11, the number of tied teams is reduced to two (2), then BL 18.104.22.168 shall be used to determine which of the two (2) remaining teams is placed higher.
- BL 22.214.171.124.3 The comparison shall be made first, upon the points of the games among the tied teams, second, the goal difference, and third, based upon goals scored.
Brutality/Violence: A participant penalized for a violation of Rule 21.11 of the USAWP Playing Rules (brutality/violence) shall not participate in the team’s next game in that division and may be subject to additional punishment by USA Water Polo.
Red Cards: A participant who receives a red card shall not participate in the team’s next game in that division and shall receive one point on their membership record per the USAWP Athlete and Coaches Code of Conduct.
Protests: To protest a misapplication of the rules in a game a head coach or team official named on the game roster must:
- Do so within 30 minutes of its ending time (recorded by referee on the score sheet)
- Immediately pay a $100 cash Protest Fee to the Tournament Director
- Describe the incident of the protest in writing and state rule number that has been misapplied.
The Tournament Director shall immediately notify these parties of a completed filing
- The non-protesting team’s head coach
- The Tournament Committee who shall timely hear all protests, and whose decision shall be final.
NOTE: If an adverse condition is known prior to the start of a game, all provisions apply, EXCEPT filing must be complete BEFORE the signal to start the game is given by the game referee. Teams will proceed with the game at the scheduled time.
Honor the Game: We would like to encourage ALL participants (coaches, parents, athletes, fans, officials) to respect the rules, opponents, officials, and teammates by engaging in no-directions cheering and positive comments. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated. The club and club coaches will be held responsible for the behavior of their athletes, coaches, and parents. Looking forward to a great weekend of water polo.
Additional Announcements: Below are some announcements regarding the tournament.
- No deck changing!!!
- Team listed first on the schedule will wear white caps and start to the left of the table.
- Athletes will not be allowed to play in the tournament unless they are USAWP registered.
- The Referees will be doing ID Checks prior to each game of the tournament. Athletes, Coaches, and Teams MUST be prepared for ID checks as to keep the tournament on schedule.
- If you need to change cap numbers during a game, please let the table know BEFORE the player enters the pool to play.